Tuesday 28 September 2010

Bunting, Bikes and Windows

I am really exhausted today, which will be reflected in the lack of substance of this blog. The ache which was a week ago in the slowly-surfacing wisdom tooth on the left side of my mouth, has gone on vacation to the right side of my mouth, which is draining, but on the plus side, I am now wise. Despite feeling sorry for myself, I wanted to share a few trivial things about the Netherlands that I have found to be charming, in an attempt to cheer myself up.

Bunting: you may have seen this stuff at village fetes when you were younger. It's a decorative string of flags, often made from scraps of material. If you're not sure what this is, then google it in images and you'll see what I'm referring to. The dutch absolutely love it. I don't know if it is symbolic or it is just a cheap way to cheer up a blandly decorated room, but it is everywhere. From cafe windows, to just about every living room I have peaked into. If you should throw a party and wish to adorn the place, then the dutch will not disappoint you. Go into the stationary and party department of Vroom and Dreesman (the department store in Leiden) and there is bunting for every occasion: girls' birthdays, boys' birthdays, passing your driving test, graduating and many more a wonderful theme, as well as multiple colours to suit everyone's taste.

Bikes: now you may have heard it said, that there are lots of bikes in Holland. Well that's actually a lie... there are a phenomenal amount of bikes in Holland! The cycle culture just takes it one step further then what you might possibly be able to imagine. They haven't quite got round to making a cycle lane on the motorway yet, but I'm sure that day will come. Londoners who get annoyed at bike-riding, light-jumping, angry peddlers, would be infuriated by the fact that bikes ALWAYS take precedence here. With a million and one bikes outside every dutch train station, and special two-storey slidey storage devices, which are so clever/intimidating (I haven't yet worked out how to use them) you'd think it would be difficult to relocate your parked cycle. Think again, that's where cycle couture peddles onto the catwalk. Fancy panniers, floral saddle-covers, flowers for handle bars and even the aforesaid bunting has been spied, spray painted and customised to personal taste - this cycle chic deters robbers, makes your own steed stand out and what's more is hot! On Friday my uni are hosting 'Pimp my Bike' so that us novice internationals can become true cycle scenesters. But it's not all about the look, utility is also important. If it's possible to lift it off the ground, then you can get it on a bike. To date I have seen a dog, a cello, a bookcase and even an entire family on a singular peddle! The dutch are not jokers.

Windows: the dutch love light (I'm glad I haven't moved to a nation that revels in darkness!). They can make prison-like buildings look inviting, because their windows are so enormous. Although some buildings are oozing with dutchness like a piece of melted Gouda, there are many that on first glance aren't that different to British builds; but the sheer size of the glass really does transform their overall appearence, which is why despite the rain, I can never forget that I'm not in England. Big windows legitimise nosiness. One further thing I have noseticed, is that all dutch people are extremely gifted when it comes to interior design.

Bunting, bikes and windows: all this I really like about the Netherlands!

No comments:

Post a Comment